Kitchen Remodel Nightmare

I told you about my Kitchen Remodel Goes Bad!?!  Instead of getting better, it turned into a Kitchen Remodel Nightmare!!!  I hope you’re okay with one more day of remodel woes!?!  The story just wouldn’t be complete without this update.  Here I am looking at the new kitchen thinking — wow, it’s so dreamy!  And then the counter tops are installed.

Kitchen Remodel Nightmare @ItsOverflowing 4

Even more dreamy!  The marble arrived polished rather than honed (mistake made by the contractor) so the fabricators showed up the next day to start honing the marble — as they are working, cliff notes version — contractor shows up, goes crazy (for the third time), and quits (tells all his people to leave, off the site).  Marble company (three guys) is an independent company and lets me know before leaving that the contractor had been wigging out a lot and they didn’t know what was going on with him.  They waited to leave until they knew I was okay and under the care of a neighbor.

Kitchen Remodel Nightmare @ItsOverflowing 3

The next day, marble guys show up again to finish honing and cut sink hole.  We told them they didn’t need to work more for us until the contractor paid them.  They insisted saying they wanted me, the customer to be happy.  They worked all morning, took off lunch, then worked two more hours.  I came out several times to let them know it looked great.  About 3pm, it gets awkward.  The head guy (owner’s son) tells me that they can’t cut the sink hole until they get paid.  What!?!  We had given the contractor payment for the marble and received a receipt confirmation via text.  We had been specifically told in the text that it had been paid with the check we had written.  I stayed calm, they stayed calm.  We both agreed this was a mess.  Then it goes from awkward to intolerable!  They let me know their father wants them to take the marble back with them since its not paid for.  What!?!  Really!?!?

Kitchen Remodel Nightmare @ItsOverflowing 2

I asked if they were serious and looking down, they said, ‘Yes.’  And with that, I told them I couldn’t sit back and let that happen.  We had paid for the marble, it was ours.  I dialed 9-1-1.  I wish I could find the soundtrack, I’m sure it would be somewhat amusing.  Who calls about their marble!!?  The 9-1-1 call lady comforted me and made sure I was safe.  I let her know that the guys in my home were complete gentlemen.  They wanted payment.  We didn’t want to double pay.  She let me know an officer would arrive shortly.  Within two minutes, three officers were on the scene!  Big story in our little city!!!  The first thing the officer said was that he understands there’s a problem here, but this is a civil matter and we aren’t going to go around ripping off counter tops because if we do that, someone will have to leave in cuffs.  I really wanted to hug the guy.    The head officer had me call the contractor.  He didn’t answer, but the head officer left a message and the contractor called back shortly.  The contractor went round and round (his claim to fame) and the policeman listened.  He gladly took advantage of the lull after ten minutes of jabber.  The policeman let me know that the only complaint he had was that Mrs. Lane wasn’t nice.  To which, the stone fabricators quickly spoke up and said, “that isn’t true, Mrs. Lane is very nice.”  Sweet guys.  I hate that we both got taken!!!

Kitchen Remodel Nightmare @ItsOverflowing

At this point Stud arrived home and began printing copies of checks we had given the contractor, totaling 77% of the job.  The stone guys took receipt copies to show their dad and grabbed a copy of the header from our contract so they could contact the contractor through various venues.  The policeman gave us a lowdown of possibilities for us to be aware of and the stone guys were advised to take down this dishonest contractor.  And then it was just us in the house again — us and our marble.  And quite a few kitchen remodel tasks left undone.  The most pressing, a sink.  I’ll have to hold off on some of what was discussed with the police officer and stone fabricators because you never know who may be reading, but long story short, this has definitely been a kitchen remodel nightmare — and on this day, it was so bad it had the neighbors all talking — thankful to live in a neighborhood where visits from the police are very rare!

Creating Our Dream Kitchen.

Linking up atSavvy Southern StyleBetween Naps on the Porch

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

1. kelly says:

wow that royally sucks big time. I have heard SO , MANY. TIMES about shady contractors who take your money and use it to pay other jobs/workers they have going (basically rob peter to pay paul) and then you wind up holding the bill…it’s a SERIOUS crime. I am so sorry. I am not sure what state you live in (found you thru thrifty decor chick) but as far as contractors in most states you have to be licensed and insured and you can ALWAYS check references…your Kitchen has the makings to be beautiful…I hope it gets squared away very soon.

2. Mindy says:

Oh my goodness! I thought your last update was awful and then it gets worse. The good thing was, even though you had to call 911 to keep your marble (I would be losing my marbles after all this!), you were safe in your home this time. Praying it all gets resolved for you and the contractor will be held accountable. AND praying you get your kitchen completed soon : )

3. Jan says:

That is just awful – a true nightmare! Good for you calling the police and good for them coming to “referee” things. Where I live (big city) the police would say it’s a civil matter and wouldn’t show up. I don’t know what the law is in your state but where I live a subcontractor who is not paid by the prime contractor, even though you have paid the prime contractor for the subcontracted work, has the right to file a lien against the property and be paid — in effect, you’d be paying twice for the same job because the prime contractor is crooked! I suggest you check what the law is in your state regarding non-payment of sub-contractors by prime contractor, and possibly consult with an attorney to see what options may be available to you. I am so sorry this has turned into such an ordeal for you and your family. But on the bright end of the scale, what you have in your kitchen now is just gorgeous and it will be incredible when it has all of your finishing touches applied. Good luck and keep the faith.

4. Wow! Well your hair looks adorable in the photo! This just stinks all the way around! Stay strong! laura

5. Juju says:

I’m so sad to hear this has been happening to you. I am praying for this entire situation to be resolved in your favor QUICKLY!

You might want to get some counsel from an attorney, just to make sure that the dishonest contractor doesn’t try to put a contractor’s lien on your house. Also, call the BBB and file a complaint against the contractor.

And maybe bake a cake for the marble guys. They seemed nice!

6. Oh I would love a kitchen that large

7. Oh man that is terrible. I’m sorry to hear that you have had such a rough time. At least you had all the back up.

8. OH MY GAWD I was REALLY hoping that this was going to be a joke…. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} Contractors like that REALLY give people them all a bad name and I hope you go on Angie’s List or the BBB and SUE HIM FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT in civil court and get your money back. He has NO LEG to stand on and you should be reimbursed fully. This is something you shouldn’t let go. If you do, he will continue to screw people over left and right!

• Cindy says:

I agree. And she needs to make absolutely certain the “wigging out contractor” has no chance to file a lein against their house.

• MJ says:

Maybe Aimee should be the one filing a lien against his house/business?

Contractor in financial trouble and needing advice/help?

I hope this plays out well in the end for all concerned.

Wish I had the guts to have a white kitchen. Nope, tomato sauce bubbles up and splashes, red wine spills, coffee drips. Nightmare for the scullery maid (me). I’d even have to have smooth round hardware in order to keep it dusted and clean. I like that one rounded one Aimee showed in other post, too.

It’ll be fabulous when done.

9. Linda S. says:

Shouldn’t your local police dept. be investigating your “wigging out a lot” contractor? Could there be chemicals at play in this weird scenario? Not accusing, only asking. Thankfully you have kept good written records of all your payments, and agreements! I hope this all gets straightened out for you and your family.

10. Patty Lucas says:

Boy have you been put through the wringer. Our contractor is the most wonderful guy ever and has been doing great work. I am so sorry yours hasn’t. Smart to get the police involved. They are probably the only one the contractor will listen to.

11. Amy J says:

WOW. Good for you for sticking to your guns and not letting them rip that marble out! I don’t know what I would have done…I hate confrontation. Hugs to you!

12. Teresa H, Fields says:

All I can say is wow and Hugs! Now I am thankful that my nieces husband, who used to work for a big contractor here, does all my work. He knows I’m picky, is patient and makes it easier.

13. Oh my word, this really does sound like a total nightmare. I am so sorry this has turned out like this because your kitchen is stunning.

14. They say the kitchen is the heart of the home, I’m wondering where this guy’s heart and soul are? I’m sorry you’re having to go through all of this, your kitchen is turning out beautifully, I’m enjoying the process. fondly ~lynne ~

15. Kelly Henson says:

Wow, just remember all things (including kitchen remodels) work out for those that love Him!
    Continue to trust God to work this confusion out. He is your strength & defender.

16. Oh my goodness! Who knew that a kitchen remodel could turn into such a crazy ordeal. Glad you were ok and that they didn’t end up ripping out the marble! Yikes!

17. Diana says:

Sorry for all the drama Aimee, but the kitchen is fabulous. You need to do before and after pics the difference is amazing.

18. erin says:

gahhhhh! i’m so sorry this is happening to you!!!

19. Mary Jane says:

Girl, I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this! Your family is definitely lifted up today!!

20. bsirious says:

I am speechless! I am so sorry you are going through this. What a terrible man that contractor is. I hope no one else ever hires him. Trust in Him to get you through this.

21. Julia says:

Holy crap that sounds like a nightmare and I can’t believe the cops had to get involved. Your contracter has some serious issues that he needs to get taken care of without ruining everybody else’s day. I would have laid on that marble And screamed over my dead body are you taking this. I hope the rest goes as smooth as those counter tops because those are off the hook nice.
    Have a great day.